The city of Tacoma, Washington is unlike any other! Located in Pierce County, Tacoma is a mid-sized urban port city and is located approximately 32 miles southwest of Seattle. As the third-largest city in the state, Tacoma is home to a population over 198,000. The area has become known for being the center of business activity for the South Sound region.
If you’re thinking of visiting this great city, take a look at these must see spots!
Tacoma’s art scene is truly amazing! Having been described as one of the hotspots for artist, Tacoma has it all – painting, sculpture, theater and of course glass blowing. The streets are filled with a vibrant urban core and creativity is all around. Get lost in the museum district and historic bounties!
- Chihuly Bridge of Glass: this 500-foot-long pedestrian overpass serves as a link between the Museum to downtown Tacoma. Marking the center of the bridge, you will find the Crystal Towers. These large crystals act as beacons of light for both the bridge and the city, which rise forty feet above the bridge deck.
- Museum of Glass: the Chihuly Bridge of Glass leads you to the museum where you’ll find a large variety of exhibitions, collections and also live glass making! It’s the center for lovers to appreciate the medium of glass as artist express it through their creative experiences. If you’ve never experienced live glassmaking, you will be truly impressed!
- Broadway Center for the Performing Arts: when it comes to top quality and diverse performances, you can count on the Broadway Center for the Performing Arts! This non-profit center is recognized for its leadership in presenting world-class performance artist and also by providing one of the largest performing arts education programs in Washington. With over 51,000 students and teachers, the Broadway Center continues to be a key player in ensuring Downtown Tacoma’s revitalization! Take a look at their upcoming events!
If you love nature in its purist form, you’ll love what Tacoma has to offer! From nature tours to parks to zoos, there’s a little something for everyone! Located along the saltwater banks of Puget Sound, Tacoma is home to some of mother nature’s most beautiful creations!
- Destiny Harbor Tours: take one of their scheduled tours or charter a private tour for your family and friends! Leaving from the Port of Tacoma or from Gig Harbor, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to see the city from a unique perspective. Each tour ranges in departure time and length, so be sure to contact them for information!
- Point Defiance Park: Point Defiance Park is definitely a Tacoma gem! Stretched over 702 acres, the park is home to Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, the only combined zoo and aquarium in the Northwest. An interesting touch to Point Defiance Park is a chance to experience life set in the Washington Territory during the 1850’s. Along with the zoo and aquarium, patrons can enjoy hikes, formal gardens, a marina and saltwater beaches. What a day!
- Tacoma Farmers Market: this giant marketplace is located downtown and brings the highest quality of local produce available in the area! Imagine the best growers, food producers and artisans all in one place. This means having access to the top farmers, fishermen, bakers and cheesemakers! The sense of community and healthy living is absolutely amazing! You’ll love everything about the farmers market!
Other notable attractions:
- Children’s Museum of Tacoma
- Deep Forest Challenge
- Emerald Queen Casino
- Lakewold Gardens
- Northwest Trek Wildlife Park
- Port of Tacoma
- The Grand Cinema
- Brown’s Point Lighthouse and Cottage
Visiting Pierce County
There are so many things to see when you’re in Tacoma and I hope you’ll take advantage of what the city has to offer through art, culture, nature and even by visiting one of the many locally-owned restaurants or shops! Indoors or out, you’ll find yourself falling in love with Tacoma!
If you’re new to the area and considering a move, take a look at the Pierce County local market updates. As you prepare for the purchase of your Pierce County home, take a look at the possible things that can go wrong with a real estate sale so that you’re better prepared. Of course, having the right real estate agent can help minimize problems and keep your transaction moving forward!
Feel free to continue searching my site for more information on Pierce County and the surrounding areas and don’t hesitate to contact me with any specific questions! As an experienced agent in real estate for over 25 years, I will be able to provide you with exceptional service and extensive knowledge of the local market! Make contact with me today!