Moving can arguably be one of the most stressful events a person will go through. From everything to buying and selling homes, to the risk of items being lost or damaged in the move, it is easy to see why. There are plenty of sources and lists offering moving tips and ideas to reduce stress. Here is a list of the top 5 moving tips that we always recommend to our clients when moving to Pierce County.
- Be prepared. Having a plan and sticking to it will make your move go much more smoothly. Keep all documents and papers related to the move in a singular location, and maintain easy access to important phone numbers and documents.
- Name the place. When packing, label the boxes with the items inside and the room the box belongs in. This one may seem like a no brainer, but it will save you endless amounts of frustration.
- Update the postal service. Fill out the postal service change of address form six to eight weeks before your move, to make sure that you receive all of your mail with as little interruption as possible.
- Keep the kids occupied. On move in day, coloring books and crayons can be a lifesaver! Pack some toys and games for your children that are easily accessible. This will give them something fun and familiar to do while you’re unpacking and settling in.
- Keep your pets safe. Another thing to consider on move in day is how you will keep your pets safe. A good idea is to isolate them in a room that will have no or minimal foot traffic during the move. Be sure to include their food, water, and toys in the room and put a note on the door letting people know that your pets are inside. This will keep them from darting out the door and escaping… or even worse.
These top 5 moving tips won’t completely eliminate the stress of a move, but they will make the experience much more pleasant. We’ve helped a wealth of clients with their moves to Pierce County and would be happy to help you navigate any or all of these steps!
Things to Avoid When Moving to Pierce County
There are also several things to avoid when moving, including mistakes that are commonly made when working with movers and moving companies. Here are just a few tips to help your move go more smoothly, and avoid costly mistakes:
- All movers are NOT created equal. Like any sort of service providers, moving companies perform at a wide range of levels. You need to be comfortable with the company you do business with.
- Never rely solely on an online price quote. Moving companies need to see what you’re moving in person. Only after seeing the items to be moved in your home will they give you a written estimate, which they are bound to.
- Watch for the classic warning signs. Less than credible moving companies tend to follow the same patterns. Asking for a big deposit or payment up front, showing up in a rental truck or a truck without their name on it, and claims that are almost always too good to be true are some of the most common red flags to watch out for.
- The lower price is not always the best deal. As is true with many things, you get what you pay for with moving companies. Most people who complain about getting “ripped off” by a moving company will also admit that they were drawn in by the lowest bid.
- Start planning now. You’ll be better served all around by planning in advance for all aspects of your move.
Moving Companies in Pierce County
There are several moving companies from which to choose in Pierce County. It is always a good idea to get multiple estimates and work with a company you feel comfortable with. Here’s a list of some of the more popular options for moving companies in Pierce County. If you’d like our personal recommendations, please do not hesitate to contact us today!
- Two Men and a Truck – 970-279-0067
- Last Minute Movers – 206-391-0204
- Lile North American Moving – 253-584-2222
- Boush Moving – 253-845-8829
- APEX Moving and Storage – 253-864-7870
- World Wide Movers – 253-472-8400
When you’re ready to search for Pierce County real estate or if you would like more information about financing a home, moving, or anything having to do with the home buying and selling process, you have come to the right place! I am Vickie Jennings, and I focus on making the process of buying and selling real estate fun, but also educational and rewarding. I offer a complete range of real estate services, and would love the opportunity to find your perfect home for you! Personal service is my top priority, and I am completely dedicated to providing you with the highest quality service to meet all of your real estate needs. Take a look through my current listings, and then call or connect with me to get started today!
Ready to find your dream home?
We’re here to listen to what’s most important to you and deliver top of the line service, expertise and advice that’s custom fit for you.